5. Discussion Forum on Extreme Poverty

poverty

Re: poverty

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
I agree Anne. So many of the things we own set us apart from the poor. They precondition us mentally and emotionally to keep the poor and needy away from us out of FEAR. St. Francis discipline of freely chosen poverty enabled him to draw close to and hear what was really on their hearts . Such an approach is like being Jesus King of Kings in cognito...it leads to reality in prayer.

The FI paper recommends human interaction with those most affected by poverty and poor living conditions , rather than strategizing by cold statistical data. This is so much the case I experience in the North where so many decisions are made in Texas, Ottawa, Calgary and Toronto that make decisions with out reference to the people most affected.
I am finding thta some of the extreme poor in the North are youth who have been pampered, left with technology ipods, tvs etc for long hours who have little or no hope or desire to serve anyone in the future. So many drop out of school in our communities before reaching grade 12. How can progarms be designed without building relationships with them? I find this even with parents who are bringing their teens for confirmation. There is work to be done !!

Just a few thoughts from your Hay River family

Pax et Bonum
Fr. Don+